Monday, September 19, 2011

Rosemary Gray Stevens

If you are drowning in a pool, or a lake, more likely a lake, I can save your life, and it has to do with her. (Points to Karen Leach.) She is the one who I credit for that skill that I learned. But it was just because my life depended on it. If you didn’t know me when, I don’t know how old I was, but you (indicates Karen) were here as a counselor. If you knew me when I was in middle school or grade school I wasn’t bigger than a minute. And when you get your life saving and water safety you have to actually go out in a lake and save somebody and I was as big as a pencil. I was maybe 75 pounds soaking wet and I had to save a full grown woman and that woman was Karen. And she had blonde hair down to here (gestures to her seat) and she fought me in the water with all of her hair wrapped around my face and I thought I was going to die that day, but I managed to save her, pull her to shore, and live to tell about it. Now when I tell my son about my camping experiences and why he should be in camp and all the fun I had and all the things I learned and everything that I know how to do today from Girl Scout camping and I remember always to tell him and anybody else about the day I had to save my counselor. Who fought and tried to pull me under the lake. That’s my story. Karen almost killed me!

(This story was transcribed by Sarah Hickox from the 2011 Camp Meridale Reunion interview footage. If you have stories to share let me or Evelyn know and we'll help you post your story!)

No comments:

Post a Comment